The purpose of the award is to assist a student in a Master’s or doctoral program in attending the ASIS&T Annual Meeting by defraying travel expenses. The award shall consist of a check for $500 given to a single applicant. The SIG-HFIS Student Travel Award is sponsored by SIG HFIS. It is administered by a SIG-HFIS Award Jury, which is comprised of the officers of SIG HFIS.
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- be an ASIS&T member at the time of application, with preference given to those who are SIG-HFIS members. (If you are not a member, you can join now through your ASIS&T member profile. See also https://www.asist.org/groups/history-foundations-of-information-science-hfis/ for details.)
- be currently enrolled in a graduate (doctoral or Master’s) program as of the time of the Annual Meeting
- have not previously won the SIG HFIS graduate student travel award.
Applicants for the 2019 Travel Award should submit the following items, by email, to the SIG HFIS Award Jury at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of June 15, 2019.
Applications should include:
- a cover letter including name, address, phone number, email address, academic affiliation. The cover letter should identify the attached statements as being submitted specifically for this award.
- a curriculum vitae.
- a 300-word statement on why Annual Meeting attendance will benefit the student in their pursuit of a future career, including the role of their conference submission in that regard, and its relation to the history and/or foundations of information science. Statements may also discuss financial need.
- Each application package will be appraised in terms of originality, clarity of expression, financial need, and the connection between attending the Annual Meeting and the student’s career aspirations. Applicants who have had a contribution of any kind accepted for the conference with relevance to the activities of HFIS, broadly construed, will be given priority consideration.