Dr. Thomas Froehlich will be presenting a webinar on April 24th at 11AM EST. He will be talking on the “The Role of Self-Deception and Pseudo-Cognitive Authorities in the Dissemination and Embrace of Fake News." Registration information can be found here. Free for ASIS&T members! This webinar has the following objectives:
(1) to develop and understand a taxonomy of false information in the disinformation marketplace;
(2) to understand the role of deception and self-deception in the success of fake news;
(3) to understand the role of pseudo-cognitive authorities (e.g., Fox News) in the dissemination and success of fake news;
(4) to delineate and understand the accelerators or enhancers in the success of fake news (e.g., repetition of the same content from different sources and authorities);
(5) to understand the strategies that information professionals can use and the limits they face in dealing with adherents of fake news.